Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Learning OpenGL - Part 1

I decided to start teaching myself OpenGL since I have not programmed 3D graphics yet. It took a while to find a tutorial that didn't rely on too many third party libraries, but I eventually found one that I felt relied on the minimum. I am using the tutorials on xoax.net, since they only rely on OpenGL and GLUT. GLUT only deals with starting up OpenGL, is easily accessible, and as far as I know doesn't have a problem with being depreciated anytime soon.

I went through the first couple  tutorial pretty quickly, since they just overviewed OpenGL, and taught me how to draw a line. The third tutorial was a little tricky since I had to create algorithms to create the different parts of an American flag. It seemed simple at first glance but got harder once I realized I was rusty on my geometry, which was a large part of creating a star. It eventually clicked though, and I was on my merry way.

I have included a link to the my source code hosted on my github, which better shows what the tutorial required.

https://github.com/PhaZ90771/XOAX.NET-Tutorial

No comments:

Post a Comment